York Course Web Site
Current Course Search By ...
Search By Subject
Search By Term
Search By Course Title
Search By Instructor
General Education Course
eLearn Course Search
After 6pm Course Search
Weekend Course Search
Advanced Search
View Active Course Timetables
My Class Schedule ...
Plot My Timetable
Timetable Help
Exam Information ...
Search Current Exam Schedule
My Exam Schedule
Exam Conflicts
Building Acronyms
Deferred Exam : FAQ
Religious Obersevances
Course Search By ...
Historical Course Search By Faculty, Subject, Number
Historical Course Search By Title
Course Evaluation Search
Course Evaluation Search FAQ
Course Evaluation Search Results
Course Information ...
Important Dates
Lecture Schedules
Lecture Schedules
University Calendars

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions (Courses Site) | Registrar | York University

I am interested in taking a course. What should I do?

To take any course, you must be admitted to York University. Please visit our Future Students Website to learn more about our admissions process.

Back to top >>

When can I enrol?

Every student is assigned a specific date and time to start accessing the online Registration and Enrolment Module (REM). For continuing students enrolment access times are based on the number of credits you have already earned, plus your currently-enrolled credits: the higher this total, the earlier your access time. The dates/times are spread out over several weeks in order to prevent the system being overloaded by many thousands of students all accessing it at the same time.

Enrolment via the online Registration and Enrolment Module (REM) requires access to Passport York.

If you are newly admitted to York University, then you wjll get access after completing your new student advising appointment.

If you are a continuing student, then your financial account at York University must be in good standing and you need to meet any academic advising requirements set by your academic program and required by in your most recent sessional academic decision. If any of these conditions are not met, then an enrolment block on your record will prevent you from adding new courses, changing course sections, or exchanging two courses within the Registration and Enrolment Module.

Back to top >>

Is there a schedule of courses by major?

No. Courses on the York Courses Website timetable are searchable by subject, term, instructor, etc., but not by program major. You should consult the appropriate section of the Undergraduate Calendar to see the courses which can be taken for a particular program. You can also consult your program’s academic advising office for assistance with choosing courses suitable for your major. If a Degree Progress Report (DPR) is available for your program, then you can also use the DPR for information about course requirements, but you need to already be enrolled in at least one course for the DPR to work.

Back to top >>

How do I see if space is available in a course?

You need to be logged into Passport York. When viewing the page for a course offering on the York Courses Website timetable, a “Please click here to see availability” link appears just below the course term and course section code. When you click on that link, you will be asked to log in to Passport York.. Upon a successful login, the page will refresh and the link will be replaced by “Seats Available” information.

If you see Section/Course Full, this indicates that the course has no seats remaining. This can change if a enrolled student drops the course, or if the course department adds more seats to that course section.

Back to top >>

The course that I want is almost full and my enrolment time has not started yet. What can I do to enrol in it?

Because enrolment access times are based on the number of credits that a student has, it is generally expected that students with later access times (with fewer course credits) will still be able to find space in courses as the students with earlier access times are more likely to have enrolled in upper-level courses.

However, some courses may fill up before your enrolment window opens, and in some cases these may be your preferred courses.

Please keep in mind that students will continue to add and drop courses throughout the enrolment period. As well, de-enrolment exercises occur regularly throughout the entire enrolment period: so students who do not pay their registration deposit (or make other arrangements), or who do not have a needed prerequisite course, may also be dropped from the course you want. Keep checking your preferred courses: spaces may eventually open.

Please note that departments will NOT reserve seats for you before your enrolment access window opens.

Back to top >>

What do “Course Reserved” and “With Restriction” mean?

The terms “Course Reserved” and “With Restriction” are related to the option that departments have to give certain types of students priority to enrol in their courses. For example, the Department of Mathematics and Statistics might require that only students majoring in mathematics be enrolled in their 4000-level courses. First-year courses might be set aside for students who have just been admitted to the University, and business courses may be restricted only to business majors.

“Course Reserved” means that every seat in the course has been set aside for a specific academic category of student. In some cases, this might be as general as preventing graduate students from enrolling in undergraduate courses. In others, the course might be reserved for very specific groups of students—such as only those who are in a specific program or year level.

“With Restriction” means that some of the seats have been set aside for a specific academic category of student. The number of seats that have been set aside for this specific category is determined by the particular department that offers the course.

“Remaining seats may be restricted” indicates that some seats are still available, but there may be a restriction on these seats for students in specific majors or year levels.

The system does not indicate exactly for whom seats may have been reserved or restricted. If you are enrolling in courses which are appropriate to your year level, major and/or minor, then you will have a better chance of meeting the restrictions. Refer to the Undergraduate Academic Calendar for program requirements. If you are not able to enroll in a course which is required for your program, contact your department for assistance.

In some cases, departments will keep their seats reserved/restricted early in the enrolment period. Then, just before the beginning of classes, they may open the remaining seats. This is most common for courses that could be made available to non-majors. Keep trying to enrol throughout the enrolment period, but be aware that courses designed for specific majors may not have spaces available for anyone outside their program.

You may seek permission from the course department to add courses where you do not meet the restriction, but there is no guarantee that you will be given that permission to enrol.

Back to top >>

What does “Backup” mean?

A course meeting group designated as a backup is not available for enrolment unless the department offering the course decides there is enough enrolment demand to open it. Ask the department if this is a possibility: see the individual Faculty websites for department contact information.

Back to top >>

What do the terms, abbreviations and acronyms in the course timetables mean?


This is the length of the course. The sessional dates associated with each term are posted under Important Dates on the Registrar's Office Website.


Some courses have more than one section, which means that the students enrolled in this course are divided into groups (such as Section A, Section B, etc.) that may be scheduled for different academic terms, days, start times, and class durations, and class locations. Different sections may also have different section directors and/or meeting group instructors.


Within a course section, there will be a primary meeting group, and then one or more secondary meeting group options. The structure of the meeting group is indicated by these codes:

Course Type Abbreviations
Abbreviation Course Type
BLEN Blended learning
CLIN Clinical
CORS Correspondence
DIRD Directed reading
DISS Dissertation
FDEX Field experience
FIEL Field trip
IDS Individual directed study
INSP Internship
ISTY Independent studies
LAB Laboratory
LECT Lecture
LGCL Language classes
ONLN Online learning
PERF Performance
PRAC Practicum
REEV Research evaluation
RESP Research paper
REVP Review paper
SEMR Seminar
STDO Studio
THES Thesis
TUTR Tutorial
WKSP Workshop

The two-digit number following the Type code (for example, 01) indicates the meeting group number.

Day of the week:

Days of the Week Abbreviations
Abbreviation Day(s)
M Monday
T Tuesday
W Wednesday
R Thursday
F Friday
MWF Monday, Wednesday and Friday
TR Tuesday and Thursday
S Saturday
U Sunday
SU Saturday and Sunday

Location: This shows the building and the room for classes. For a list of the abbreviated forms used for campus buildings, see Building Acronyms. In online courses, this area will be blank..

Back to top >>

The courses site shows only very brief descriptions. Where do I find the syllabus and grading schemes?

The courses site contains the official course descriptions. Many departments publish additions to the description (i.e. course outlines and syllabuses) which include more information about the contents of the course, the graded components, the deadlines for projects etc. See the individual Faculty websites for department contact information: once at the Faculty site, choose the relevant department or program, and then look for links such as “mini calendar”, “course outlines” or “supplemental calendar”.

Back to top >>

Whom should I contact if a description of the course I have enrolled in is blank or marked TBA?

Faculties are responsible for providing the course description information included in this database. Please contact the appropriate Faculty's advising office for assistance.

Back to top >>

I want to take a course that is labeled as BLEN (blended learning) or ONLN (fully online). What does this mean?

BLEN / Blended learning:

Sometimes referred to as a “hybrid” course, class time in these courses is a combination of face-to-face and online delivery.

One third of the course is delivered through online instruction, while one third of the course is delivered face-to-face. The remaining third can be any combination of online or face-to-face delivery.

Total course contact hours are the same as a traditional face-to-face course.

ONLN / Fully online:

Students do not physically attend classes. All lectures and course activities are delivered online. Course directors may create opportunities for students to come to campus but attendance at these opportunities is not mandatory.

However, the student may be required to come to campus (or another location) to write course tests and/or exams.

Please refer to the course syllabus for more details.

For blended and fully online courses offered by the Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies, please contact their eLearning Office. For courses offered by other Faculties, please contact the department that offers the course.

Back to top >>

What skills and technology will I need for a BLEN (blended learning) or ONLN (fully online) course?

eLearning courses have been created to provide greater access to course content with innovative activities to enrich your learning experience as you engage with them. It is important for you to know that to be successful in courses with online learning activities (otherwise known as eLearning) you need to have the following: 1) ability to work independently and create deadlines to manage course requirements; 2) comfort with written communications and participating in online discussions with people you might not have yet met in person, and 3) access to a computer when you need it and experience with that computer.

Back to top >>

What are course credit exclusions?

Some pairs of courses cannot both be taken for degree credit because their content overlaps too significantly. These pairs are called course credit exclusions, and they will be listed at the end of the Course Description text for a course on the York Courses Website timetable. If your degree requirements specify that one course of the pair is required to fulfill a program requirement, you cannot enrol use the other course to fulfill degree requirements. However, the Registration and Enrolment Module will not prevent enrolment in the excluded course: it is your responsibility to ensure course selections meet degree and program requirements for graduation. Contact your program’s academic advising office to confirm any applicable course credit exclusion..

Back to top >>

I need descriptions for courses I took a while ago. Where can I find those?

You can use the Advanced Courses Search to find descriptions for courses offered at least once since Fall 1998. If you are looking for a course offered before Fall 1998, contact the department that offered the course.

Back to top >>

I am enrolled in another university, but want to take some courses at York that count towards my degree. What should I do?

First, find the description of the course(s) you wish to take at York University. Bring these to your institution to find out if they will count the course(s) it for credit towards your degree. You would need a letter of permission (LOP) from the institution that you are attending and would need to apply for admission to York University as a visiting student as detailed on our Future Students website.

Back to top >>

Where can I find textbook lists?

Required course textbooks are listed on the York University Bookstore website.

Back to top >>

York Course Website Version 2.1.15 (Mar 20, 2019)
Copyright 2005-2019 © York University